We source the best natural and sustainable fibres we can find. The cotton we source is exclusively organic and rain-fed, traceable right back to the farms that grew the crop.
SUSTAINABLE SMALL SCALE
We proudly support small scale farmers that are promoting sustainable agricultural practices and working to regenerate, not destroy the land that they rely on.
Rain-fed cotton is better for people and the planet. Instead of using toxic pesticides and fertilisers, our farmers rely on crop rotation, natural fertilisers and cow pee to keep the soil fertile and the pests away.
NOT ALL ORGANIC COTTON IS CREATED EQUAL
Instead of growing in dry arid areas that require a lot of water, our cotton is grown during the rainy season which means we don’t need thousands of liters of water to produce a single tee.
We don’t just meet the minimum legal requirements, we exceed them, lifting the bar for the entire industry.
We work with only the best ethical factories we can find. They are all GOTS or Fairtrade certified and we are working towards long term partnerships with the most progressive. Unlike many of our competitors which set the minimum working age at 14, ours is 18.
We regularly audit each factory (our NZ team visits at least once a year, although this is usually more!) against a high bar of social and sustainability criteria, and ensure the highest standard of safety is adhered too.
The process of turning cotton fibre into fabric is complex but we trace this from farm to factory. The cotton is ginned, spun and woven or knitted to create high quality premium fabrics that are bespoke to Little Yellow Bird.
We ship as many of our products by sea freight as possible.
It takes around 6 weeks on the water for our products to arrive.
PACKAGING & REMANUFACTURING
By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish and currently 99% of textile products end up in landfill.
We don’t want to see this happen so all our orders are shipped in paper mail bags or cardboard boxes. We also want to make products that last, that can also be sent back to us for remanufacture. We seek to make new products from old, so there is no waste at all. This is something we are working on so stay tuned.
Over 1 billion people still don’t have access to clean water, so polluting water to make clothes just doesn’t make sense.
We only use non-toxic, AZO free, GOTS certified dyes, and we also ensure the wastewater is filtered and cleaned, which enables it to be used again. 95% of the water used in our drying process is returned back to drinking quality, with the remaining 5% being used in bricks and road materials – a completely closed loop process.